Great Start Collaborative Partner Spotlight: Great Start to Quality
This month we highlight our partner, Great Start to Quality. They have been GSC members since the program began in 2010. Read on to learn more about their important work:
What programs do you offer for young children and their families?
- We work with parents to find high quality preschool and childcare in an area that meets their needs. Parents can do a preschool/childcare search on our website or they can call our office and we can help do the search for/with them.
- Occasionally, we will host professional development events for parents. This past summer we hosted a Love and Logic training series for both parents and childcare providers.
How do families enroll in your programs?
- We are not a program that provides direct services to children, but we do provide support in helping parents find the best choice for childcare in Kent County.
- Parents have a variety of childcare needs that they need supported – finding care for children with special needs, finding care during all shifts (1st, 2nd, 3rd ), finding a childcare provider that speaks a language other than English, etc. We are here to help parents meet their needs and the needs of their children.
How does your organization use parent voice to inform your programs?
- We really encourage parents to look for childcare providers who have a Star rating. This means that the providers have taken the extra step to really showcase the quality they have in their programs.
- For families who have been approved to receive subsidy, looking for a Star rated program will make childcare more affordable. The state contributes increased funds to those programs who have a Star rating and completely eliminates the family contribution amount for 3, 4, and 5 Star rated programs. This makes these high quality programs more affordable to parents.
- We want parents to ask their childcare providers if they have a Star rating and, if not, we want them to encourage their providers to participate.
What do you most appreciate about your GSC membership?
- The partnership. We have appreciated being able to partner/attend community events, support each other in work groups and, most recently, partner on our advisory team meetings. We feel it is so important to work with organizations who support early childhood, both from a child and parent perspective in Kent County.